Sunday, July 3, 2011

ehh little of this little of that


EDIT:I wrote this on Thursday but the USO internet has been down so I wasn’t able to post it, I picked up some Stantel cards at the bazaar today so now I can use one of the other networks which is how im posting this. We’ll see how it goes.  It's Afghanistan, stuff happens...

Short week since my last update, that’s what I get for posting on a Saturday I guess.  Not nearly as interesting a week this week as last week was.  Work was pretty busy for the first few days but has since died down greatly much to my dismay.  I’m doing what I can to try and accomplish the goals I set for myself when I came over here and I think I’m making progress.  However since of course I don’t have full control of things I can just make stuff happen, but I’m trying.  Plus a lot of the guys I work with are really great and willing to help me out so that makes it a lot easier.

Tonight they had a “Hail and Farewell” dinner for some of the people that just arrived but mostly for a few folks that are leaving.  It reminded me of a more professional version of an Eagle Court of Honor.  Well and since this is the army there was powerpoint involved. (I imagine there are plenty of Eagle Courts these days that use power point, im glad that wasn’t really an option when I was in scouts.  Storytelling is much better and if you’re smart the funny stories generally don’t have pictures that go along with them if you catch my drift.)  So more or less I guess you could call it a roast, it was pretty funny and a very welcome break to the “routine”.  Also there was spaghetti and meatballs for dinner so that’s always a good meal.  Granted the spaghetti here is umm different but ehh I have different standards for everything here, kind of like college. 

What else…(see slow week)

Actually I guess anyone that pays attention to world new probably heard about this but the InterContential Hotel here in Kabul got attacked this week.  It isn’t that close to C3 but it was kind of a big deal anyway.  More of a propaganda thing I think for the Taliban.  Not sure how attacking a hotel and killing a bunch of civilians and police equals good propaganda but they didn’t ask me for my advice either.(no publicity is bad publicity?)  Oh you still have the ability to strap bombs to yourself and go blow yourself up? Wow that sounds like an organization I want to join! Wait a tick…

It’s been a lot dusty/hazy here the past week, but other than that it has been great summer weather, not to hot during the day and comfortable at night.  It reminds me a lot of what I think Los Alamos is like in the summer.  Aside from the fires which don’t seem to be a problem here, guess since it’s dry enough that there isn’t much vegetation to burn. 

Well I guess that is about it for this week, hopefully the next week will be more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment